Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Pedro and Drew at the Saint Louis Zoo




Total Miles:  traveled 278.4 miles by car

Total Miles Traveled by Pedro (including this trip):  278.4

Latitude:  38.6355 degrees north

Longitude:  90.2905 degrees west


Being a dog famous for exploring the United States of America, I, Pedro, am often asked what I do on specific holidays.  After all, every day is a vacation for me, so why should one day differ from any of the other 365 (or 366) days of the year?  On Labor Day, my friend Drew, his family, and I went on a trip to the Saint Louis Zoo in St. Louis, Missouri.  Why, you ask?  Well, it makes perfect sense to me; Labor Day is the one day of the year that has historically been used to celebrate the workforce, and in the animal kingdom there are few harder workers than the antelopes, bears, cats, dogs, primates, sea lions that proliferate the many zoos found across the country and around the world.  I myself can barely tolerate being carried around by a single individual, so I’m astounded by their ability to put up with crowds of men, women, and children gawking at their every motion.


 When we finally arrived at the zoo (I thought we would never make it through all of the road construction and traffic), I was so excited that I just had to have Drew pose with me in front of the sign for the Saint Louis Zoo.  Did you know that the Saint Louis Zoo is revered for its animal management and research?  The zoo is more than just a world-renowned establishment, though; it is a world-renowned establishment that is free to visit.  Can you believe that?  I can’t even get a single Milk-Bone for free, but I can observe over 18,000 animals in accurate recreations of their natural habitats for a price that is less than what it costs to buy a gumball.  

The only shortcoming of my trip to the zoo was all of the walking that the excursion entailed.  Walking to the zoo from the parking lot was a hike in itself, and then we had to walk even more once we were inside the park; I don’t think my paws have ever felt so sore after a day’s jaunt!  The animals seemed pretty tired, too.  Have you ever seen a sleeping cheetah?  It turns out the only thing greater than its speed is its ability to rest amidst holiday traffic!  Maybe it and the other animals were also taking the day off for Labor Day.



When my stubby legs weren’t being exhausted, my brain was on the receiving end of fatigue as each exhibit contained pages of information about the many species on display at the Saint Louis Zoo; each cage was adorned by a sign detailing a given animal, its unique characteristics, and an outline of the country that the creature can be found in.  I have to admit that I’m more than a little glad that lions aren’t found in North America.  If I can’t even outrun an ice cream truck, how can I be expected to outrun a ferocious feline?  The only cats I have to deal with here are more concerned with maintaining their fur than with chasing innocent canines. 

After a long day of walking, pawing, and barking at stray peacocks (how does such a big bird always manage to escape its cage?), the family and I returned to their vehicle to return to Southern Illinois.  Spending my day at the Saint Louis Zoo really helped me appreciate my relative freedom; I get to travel all over the country while these animals can only lounge in ecosystems that have been artificially designed to look like places from all over the world.  It dampened my spirits, but overall I still had a great time learning about the many different animals that inhabit this beautiful planet.



No comments:

Post a Comment