Monday, September 30, 2013

Sir Frances & Ms. Hannah Harris Visit Woodlawn Cemetery

Hello everyone, there is a very special location that I would like to share with you all. Woodlawn Cemetery is no place for running around and chasing squirrels like I first thought. When Hannah accompanied me there one afternoon, I learned about the great history of Carbondale's cemetery.

The most first Memorial Day service was held here on April 29, 1866, and it could have been the first event of its kind the country! The most interesting thing that I remember is a quote that General Logan gave at the Memorial Day, "Every man's life belongs to his country, and no man has a right to refuse when his country calls for it." Wow, this statement was impressive to me. I wonder if I would ever be asked to fight for my country, maybe one day I will be asked.

Other parts of interest around Woodlawn Cemetery is the memorial to freed African American slaves with unknown names in an unmarked area. This surely is the long dark shadow to any rising light shining from the victory of war. This is why I like Woodlawn Cemetery so much, not that I want to stay there after dark, but the memorials celebrate the contributions of all valiant men and women who fought in the Civil War. I would highly recommend every boy and girl to come for a guided tour to learn about the history in Carbondale that's right under your nose!

In total, I have now traveled 352 miles, which includes the trip to Woodlawn. It only took us three miles roundtrip, but boy was it worth it! My coordinates there were a latitude of 37.727282 degrees and a longitude of -89.210610 degrees.

Here are a couple of pictures I would like to show you from my visit.

I loved to read more information about Woodlawn! If you want to learn more about the importance of Woodlawn, please visit this website. There's lots of information for curious pups like me to explore! 


I had a good view from her shoulder. Thanks for a good time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment