Monday, October 7, 2013

Hernando and Jessica Reams visit Marion, IL.

Hello, Everyone!!! I just shared an adventure to Marion, Il. with Jessica and I am ready to tell you all about it.

First, we went to Rent One Park, this is where the Miners play baseball.  The Miners baseball team is a minor league baseball team that represents Southern Illinois.  Rent One Park was completed in 2007.

Next, we went to the town square.  Here I am with a statue of Mayor Bob Butler.  Mr. Butler has been the mayor of Marion since 1963, that is 50 years!! His grandfather, J.H. Clarida, served as mayor in the 1920's during the Bloody Williamson era.


While Jessica and I were on the square we paid our respects to the victims of the May 29, 1982 tornado that tore through Marion.  This memorial provided us with a lot of information about the tornado including how many victims there were, how many homes and businesses were destroyed, and how much money was lost due to damages.  Although this is a very sad artifact, it is a very important piece of Marion's history.

The last place that Jessica and I visited was the Multicultural and Civic Center that is located on the town square as well.  The original building was lost due to a fire on March 10, 1997, leaving only a few pieces behind.  When the designing the reconstruction, they decided to reuse some of the old building, that is what you can see behind the windows in this photo.  That concludes my trip to Marion, Il.  I learned so much and had a lot of fun with Jessica.  I just couldn't wait to share all of my new knowledge with everyone.

Latitude:  37.7303
Longitude:  88.9303
Miles Traveled:  36.98 miles
Total Miles for CI 424-Section 02: 1119.56 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment