Saturday, November 30, 2013

Sarah and Pedro Have a "Super" Time in Metropolis

            On November 20th, as I slept contently in my usual place on Mrs. Stearns’ supply cart, dreaming about all of the recent adventures I had been on with the students in her class, I was plucked from my slumber by Mrs. Stearns herself as she handed me off for yet another expedition! I have to admit, at this point in the year I’ve been so many places that I was rather irritated about this disruption in my sleep. After all, a dog needs his beauty rest! However, I was slightly anxious to see what this student (I think her name was Sarah) had in store for me.
            To my disappointment, our adventure did not begin with a bang. After taking me into her possession for the upcoming Thanksgiving break,  Sarah shoved me into her book bag and toted me around like one of those Chihuahuas in Hollywood! Now this really sent me over the edge! I felt so degraded that I ignored Sarah for the rest of the day…even if she didn’t notice.
            After taking me back to her house, Sarah sat me on her bookshelf for three days! For three whole days I sat there…staring…praying that Sarah would pick me up. Every so often, her dog Harley would waddle into her room and stare at me sympathetically. I tried to communicate with him through dogepathy (telepathy for dogs), but he wasn’t catching on. On Friday night, Sarah FINALLY picked me up and dragged me to Drew’s house. She sat me on the kitchen table while Sarah and Drew debated over which movie they wanted to watch that evening. As I sat listening to the two weigh the pros and cons of each movie, I heard a faint whisper say, “Man of Steel.” When I heard this title, I nearly leaped to my feet and jumped off the table! Of course, the stuffing in my legs and lack of mobility prevented that from happening. You probably didn’t know this about me, but I am the most avid Superman dog fans that you will ever meet! As a pup, I used to dream of a life of bravery and recognition just like my favorite superhero! I listed intently waiting to see which movie Drew and Sarah would choose. Finally, after quite some deliberation, the choice was made. I closed my eyes and prayed that soon I would be swept away on a cinematic adventure full of action and intensity! It was a good thing that Sarah had faced me towards the living room so I was able to see the movie. When I heard the line, “Do you not understand? Krypton’s core is collapsing,” I knew my time with Sarah was taking a turn for the better.
            After the movie, I sat there for quite some time, awe-struck by the complexity of the film and the bravery of my hero! I wondered what it would be like to visit the home of Superman. I heard from a few friends that Superman’s home, Metropolis, isn’t too far from where I live! They told me tales of a gigantic Superman Statue and a cardboard cutout where you can put your head so your face is on Superman’s body! I dreamed of how great it would be to go there. Of course, I had no say in the adventure that Sarah took me on. I wondered if there was any way to convince her to take me. Just then, Sarah and Drew walked into the kitchen, discussing their plans for the next day. Sarah looked at me, and I looked at her, wishing that somehow I could communicate with her my wish to see the home of my hero. Folks, let me tell you…on that day, a miracle occurred. You see, when Sarah looked away from me, she turned her attention to Drew and said, “I think Metropolis would be a good place to take Pedro.”
            Alas, after three days of boredom, my time with Sarah reached its peak. In the early evening of November 23, Sarah, Drew, and I started our journey to Metropolis. Along the way, we listened to some fun music, and I had fun looking at all the other cars on the road. Once we reached Metropolis, we wandered around downtown for a bit, taking in the sights of this “super” town. We visited many stores and the biggest Superman statue I’ve ever seen! Did you know that in 1972 the Illinois House of Representatives officially proclaimed that Metropolis is the official home of Superman? Once, the people of Metropolis dreamed of building a Superman amusement park. That dream was crushed, however, and the town suffered economic hardship.
            On the drive home, I tried my hardest not to fall asleep, but I couldn’t resist. I rested my head in Sarah’s lap and thought about all the cool things I had seen during the day. I’m so happy that I finally got to see the home of Superman. Now I know who my favorite student in Mrs. Stearns’ class is ;-)
           


Miles Traveled: 125.82
Total Miles for Section Pedro (Section 003)- 2,623.62
Latitude and Longitude Coordinates: 37o 9'N/88o 43'W

No comments:

Post a Comment