Wednesday, December 4, 2013


Dog blog:

Mrs. Parr and Pedro traveled to Chester, IL…  80.8 miles total…

What a great day for a drive.  We left Murphysboro, IL and headed to beautiful Chester, IL.  Chester is on the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.  There were so many fun things to see there.  First, we went to Mary’s River covered bridge.  This is a very old covered bridge.  Most of it is original and it was built in 1854.  Can you believe people used to have to pay to cross it?

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 




 Welcome to Chester, IL

Then we headed into the town of Chester, Illinois.  We went around town visiting the Popeye and friends statues.  The man who created the character Popeye is from Chester.  His name is Elzie Segar.  He based Popeye and other characters on people he knew in town.  We saw Popeye, Olive Oyl, Sweet Pea, Brutus, and Whimpy.  I got to stand on each one.  Can you find me?





L

 

 

 

 

 

 Lastly, we went down by the mighty Mississippi River.  Here I could see all the way into Missouri; a whole nother state!   Here at the welcome center, I learned that the great explorers, Lewis and Clark started their westward journey not far from there.  I got my photo taken with their statues.  I also went down and had my photo taken by the river.  Can you see why it is called “The Mighty Mississippi River?”  Look at how big it is. 

 

 

 

 What fun I had that day with my friend, Mrs. Parr.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment